How To Access Help

Below is some info that might be helpful in navigating mental health services in your area including ways to access and funding options. Please see our information pack for more details about accessing services at our St Lukes Clinic in Auckland.

A good starting point is your GP who may know of the services local to you and refer you. You may be able to get some funded treatment to see a psychologist depending on your situation through your GP office if they refer you through their Primary Health Organisation (PHO). This may be called ‘PHO funding’ or a ‘Package of Care’ and is not available at Anxiety NZ.

Health Pages and Health Point can offer a directory of Health Services in your area. If you need help finding health services you can contact CAB, who can help you find services.  If you need help navigating the health system or attending appointments you can contact Peer Support Services in your area for more support.

If you are looking for a private psychologist you can search here.

If you go to Anxiety NZ (a non-profit charity) or a private psychologist you may be able to access funded appointments using a Disability Allowance accessed through Work and income. This is not a benefit and it isn’t paid back. You might be eligible if you’re a low income earner (working or not). Additional information about the Disability Allowance and how to apply can be found in the link to the Work and Income website.

You may get a Disability Allowance if you:

  • Are aged 18 years or over, living at home or not, or if under 18 are not living with your parents
  • Are below the weekly income limit (see below)
  • Normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here
  • Are not using the maximum DA of $61.38 per week for other health needs, and have not had 30  funded counselling appointments, either here or elsewhere.

Weekly income limit:

As at 1 April 2015, the weekly income limit (before tax) is as follows:

Single 16-17 years: $518.76

Single 18+ years: $616.71

Married, civil union, or de facto couple (with or without children): $914.71 Sole parent (1 child): $723.49  Sole parent (2+ children): $762.26

If you have health insurance you may be able to claim for appointments in which case you’ll need to talk to your health insurance company. Please note that Southern Cross usually funds Clinical Psychologists (not health or general psychologists).

If your situation is urgent or moderate to severe then you may be able to access Community Mental Health services which are free (public funded). Please see this link for more information and a list of the Crisis Teams’ phone numbers.

Lastly, if your employer is part of an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) then you may be able to access free support. You can call EAP to find out if your employer is registered you can ask you employer or call EAP

If you would like some education around anxiety or to learn some breathing, relaxation or distraction exercises then you can call our free 24 hour helpline on 0800 ANXIETY (0800 269 4389).  There are also some good resources on websites on and

If this is an emergency and you feel you or someone else is at risk of harm please phone 111

Or go to your nearest hospital emergency department (ED).

Or phone your local DHB Mental Health Crisis Team (CATT Team). Please see here for a list of CATT Team contact numbers.

OR call Health line on 0800 611 116 for free advice from trained registered nurses

Or if you need to talk to someone else:

Lifeline 0800 543 354 or (09) 522 29999

Suicide Prevention Helpline 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)

Youthline 0800 376 633

Samaritans 0800 726 666

We endeavour to reply to emails and online queries within 48 hours of normal business hours. Please note we are closed Sundays and Mondays.

Our 24 hour 0800 ANXIETY Helpline is a separate service to our Auckland clinic and if you’d like to speak to someone directly please call 0800 ANXIETY on 0800 269 4389 for breathing, relaxation exercises or education around anxiety.